Despite being put through a lot of wear and tear, many do not think of dryers or dryer vents needing regular maintenance. Dryer vents are rarely looked at, causing many homeowners to forget that they are there at all. Yet, without regular attention, a dryer vent will become dirty and clogged causing your dryer to be inefficient and hazardous to your family’s safety.
While an annual cleaning should suffice, this may vary based on how often your dryer is used. For example, if you dry multiple loads a day, you may want to up your cleaning to two or three times per year. If you are uncertain whether or not you are due for a cleaning, follow these guidelines that may indicate your dryer vent needs some attention.
- Slow Drying Time: Have you been noticing that your clothes need an extra run or two through the machine? This may be a clue that a cleaning is needed. Extra drying time means higher utility bills, so be sure to address this issue as soon as possible.
- Laundry Room Changes: If you notice that your laundry room is more humid lately, this is a sign that things are not venting properly. There may also be a burnt smell in the room, which is a sign of overheating. This could potentially lead to fires, so do not hesitate to get that cleaning in as soon as possible.
- Signs on the Dryer: The dryer itself might feel hotter than normal if things are not up to code. Also, keep an eye on the exhaust vent flapper. It will not open as much if things are clogged up, as less fumes will be able to escape.
- House Fires: Thousands of fires per year are caused by dryer vents, leading to countless deaths and injuries. Making sure that everything with the dryer vent is clean, unclogged, and up to code is vital in preventing a fire from igniting. A vent cannot exhaust properly if there are things in its way. If it overheats, it will cause issues all around.
- Higher Bills: If you are forced to run your dryer multiple times, your utility bills will quickly increase. With an appliance that is used so regularly, it is important to ensure that it is running properly. Not only will it dry your clothes faster, it will save you a lot of money down the road.
- Health Issues: When the dryer vent is clogged, the toxic fumes, that are meant to escape outside, back up into the home. This can cause heath issues for those living there. Keeping your home and family safe should always be the number one priority. Save yourself the stress of medical bills and get your vent cleaned today.
Wells & Sons Chimney Service has everything you need to ensure your dryer vents are safe and clean. Give us a call and speak with one of our experts today!